Friday, January 31, 2014

Spreading Sunshine

The Sunshine Award or the Sunshine Elevens or one of several other versions of inspiration and encouragement for bloggers has been rapidly circulating the blogosphere. Thank you to the great Pam Hunnisett for tweeting this assignment to me. I have come to know Pam through our school library commons committee and know that if we worked in the same building I would seek her out daily and great discussions about books and literacy would be never ending.
Here’s how this chain letter of inspiration works:
  1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers.
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
 Eleven Random Facts About Me
  1. I am a born and raised Calgarian.  Well, I took a couple hiatuses here and there to live in Kelowna and California, but I always come back to Calgary.
  2. I play the piano and am learning to play the organ. Those pedals might kill me.
  3. I am a little obsessive about reading. Ok, a lot obsessive.
  4. I am a swimming parent - which means all my money goes to swimming (...and I thought you buy a swim suit and a towel and you're done. Cheap sport? Ha!) It also means a lot of waiting around pools - which translates into great reading time.
  5. I think I have always worked. Well, actually I have just worked since I was 12. The jobs I have had are great and varied: chambermaid, hotel laundry, hotel front desk clerk, travel agent, airline agent, secretary, receptionist, assistant to the assistant to the head of the public relations department at a utility company, mystery shopping scheduler, software instructor, photocopier, insurance lisencing instructor, concession worker, garbage sweeper, and now, a teacher. I have a secret ambition to be a writer one day (there...the secret is out)
  6. I was a missionary for my church in California for 18 months. It was one of the great pivotal experiences of my life. 
  7. I chose to become a teacher because I loved children and was pretty sure I would never marry and have children of my own. I did, however, marry and have children. I stopped teaching when our oldest was born. I have two children now. I went back to teaching after having a stillborn baby girl and a couple of miscarriages. The experiences touched my heart and brought me back to spend more time with children.
  8. I love to watch sports, but don't do a lot of it these days. I love hockey, basketball, football, swimming, lacrosse. I even watch UFC with my husband (but that is mostly to reflect on society as a whole and give a running commentary to my husband about how crazy that sport is). I love the Olympics. I really don't like wrestling or soccer though. Blech. I see no redeeming qualities in those two sports. 
  9. I enjoy cooking and caking and am quite good at it, if I do say so myself! I especially enjoy breaks from school where I have more time to cook and bake. 
  10. I really enjoy people, but am also an introvert who needs time alone to reflect, refuel and breathe. I am an incessant list maker and as a result think I can handle more than I actually can sometimes. I have a great variety on interests and tend to get involved in too many things.
  11. I am generally a happy and positive person and love to be around people who are also happy and positive. I feel richly blessed to be surrounded by these types of people as well in my work, with my husbands work friends, and many other friends. 
Pam's Questions:
  1.  What do you do for escape or for relaxation? Usually it is reading. The public library is one of my favourite places. I have a screen saver on my computer with pictures of beautiful libraries. Just looking at those kinds of places fills me. Oh to have a place like that of my own!
  2. What film or play has captured your heart? I am not much of a movie person. I do love to attend the theatre though. I particularly love what Storybook Theatre has been doing lately. Their recent production of New Canadian Kid gave me a new perspective on trying to fit in and understand Canadian culture. It reminded me of times where I have had difficulties fitting in or struggled with relationships and made me want to be more sensitive to people struggling with those same things.
  3. What books would you recommend? That is tricky. There are so many great books that have touched and changed me. But if I must answer:   Adult fiction: Unbroken, The Book of Negroes, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Children's fiction: Wonder, The One and Only Ivan, and anything by Kate DiCamillo
  4. What has been the best vacation you have ever had – specify where, when, and why? I love any vacation where my family and I get to go together. I love the enthusiasm my kids have for new places. Last summer, we went to Las Vegas and had a great time together. We drove and everything about it was wonderful!
  5. What’s one of your guilty pleasures? Steamed milk with a shit of hazelnut syrup from Starbucks 
  6. If you could travel to any ONE place in the world, where would you go? Paris, France I would love to take a family vacation there.
  7. What is your life mantra, or quote, or credo? KAIZEN (small improvements every day in every way, never ceasing, never ending)
  8. What is your favourite season? Why? Summer. I love to easiness of it, the time for walks, books, talks with friends good meals and easy living. Fall is a close second with all the excitement of a new beginning and all the beautiful colours. 
  9. What is your favourite musician/band or artist (or all)? That is hard. ABBA? Brian Adams? The Piano Guys? The guy on the organ at the Flames games? I love them all!
  10. Who or what inspires your writing? Every author I read leaves an impact. I am so glad to have discovered author's blogs where I can read about their thoughts and struggles with writing. 
  11. What metaphor/simile describes your writing process? I am a little like a pot of water....I simmer and bubble for quite a while.....then the feverish boiling/writing begins. 
  • Eleven Questions for Bloggers
1. Are you doing what you always thought you would do one day that you haven't yet done?
2. What is the best thing about your job?
3. What new thing have you learned lately?
4. What do most people not realize about you?
5. What is the last book you read?
6. What was your favourite thing about this past Christmas?
7. Tell me about your family.
8. Summer or Winter Olympics? Which is your favourite?
9. What famous person would you like to have lunch with?
10. What was the worst job you ever had?
11. What do you do to boost your battery?

11 bloggers: 



Happy blogging in 2014! Thank you for your inspirational words and efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment