Thursday, January 9, 2014

Book Club

One of my favorite things about my job is Grade 3 book club. I used to think that it would be nice if every day was book club - but the truth is, I love all the stuff in-between book club meetings as much as I love book club. It reminds me of a story I heard about Wayne Gretzky once. He said he loved everything aobut hockey. He loved practice. He loved packing up his hockey bag. He loved going on the bus to an away game. He loved it all.

I love sharing books with kids. I'm slowly mastering the art of giving them enough to get them interested, and then handing them the book to quench their thirst.

The other day I read a bit from the book this month to my class. I just wanted to make sure, after the break, that everyone remembered about book club. I wanted to get some kids excited about reading this book who might have forgotten about it. And I hadn't prepared another book talk to share for our library time (First day back! What can I say?!)

It was a bit from early on in the story. I talked about what happened in the beginning. It was delightful to have some of the kids correct me and add to what I had to say. Then I read the bit about Edward getting tossed of the ship and sinking into the ocean...down, down, down. I read it dramatically and quietly. I could tell I really had them. I love those moments. They wanted more. I told them we were out of time, but if they were interested they could sign the book out. Sure enough someone did.

"I used to think I wouldn't like to read that book but I now I think I will read it." he said. Music to my ears!

Sharing the book during library time reminded me that I really do love every part of book club.

I love going to pick up books and passing them out. It makes me feel like Santa Claus! Or maybe Oprah: You get a book! And you get a book! And you get a book!

I love having kids yell to me in the hall as they come in to let me know what chapter they're on, or ask me what chapter I'm on.

I love creating quizzes for kids to do on Edmodo and seeing the notifications roll in as they do the quiz.

I love reading favorite parts of the book to my class and having someone who wasn't reading it say, "I think I want to read that book too."

I love having kids ask me how many more days there are until our book club meeting.

I love having kids tell me at recess that they really love the book.

I love it when kids tell me how many chapters they have left, or how many they're going to read each day to finish on time.

I love it when kids come to me the day before book club and tell me they've really been trying, but they're not finished the book, and they're wondering if they could come to book club meeting anyway (My response is always: If you've been really trying, and if you promise to finish it, sure, you can come!)

I love it when kids tell me they really don't like the book. We talk about why and I ask them if they will please still come to book club because we want to have discussions with people who don't like it as much as people who do like it.

I love perusing the shelves at United Library Services to see what they have lots of copies of, reading blogs and scouring the public library website to pick the next book.

I love coming up with ideas with the other teachers for the activity for our book club meeting.

I love book club!



No comments:

Post a Comment