Saturday, February 1, 2014

Gratitude

There's a story in the Bible that tells a story of Jesus who is traveling and comes across some lepers. He takes the time to stop and he heals them. They're all excited to be healed that  run off to celebrate. This is quite an understandable reaction. One leper turns back to thank Jesus for healing him.

That's kind of what happens in life. I don't think anyone would fault the other nine for running off and being so excited. It probably was heartwarming to see them celebrate their new health. However, having someone turn back to say thanks seems to say a lot about that one person's character. Gratitude is a great gift.

One of the things I love doing most is going out and buying all the book club books for kids who want one. They all bring in their money, I drive across town and get the books, and then at school I get to hand them out. It makes me feel like Santa! Or maybe Oprah:

You get a book!
And you get a book!
And you get a book!

This week when I handed out books I had one student turn back and say thanks:



It is interesting to note that this is the same student who said thanks for letting him sit in my desk for the afternoon.

He is a great example to me. I am resolved to say thank you more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment