Friday, September 20, 2024

Book Banning

I am happy to say that grade 3 book club has been resurrected and will run this year!

It has got me thinking about all the book banning going on in the world. I read a great J fiction novel called Ban This Book with my Children's Lit Book Club that also got me thinking about book banning.

I have had times where parents have come to me about a book they were concerned about. In every instance, they had not read the book. I listened to their concerns and then asked them to read the book. In every case, they decided they weren't as concerned about it. 

Books I have discussed with parents after they share their concerns:
Number the Stars (Lois Lowry)
Skellig (David Almond)
Harry Potter (JK Rowling)
Dogman (Dav Pilkey)
Captain Underpants (Dav Pilkey)

....there are a lot more they would probably do well to have a conversation about - but these are the specific ones I have discussed with parents. 

Common Sense Media is a good website to check to see if books are appropriate for the classroom - but I have also had many times where if I had listened to what they had to say, I would have missed some great books. 

Examples:

The One and Only Ivan: A beautifully well-written book that will likely become a classic. Common Sense Media says there is violence in it. It is a part where Ivan reflects on leaving Africa.


Who is responsible for most of the book banning in 2023?

  • Moms for Liberty
  • No Left Turn in Education
  • MassResistance
  • local-level Facebook groups



EdWeek article on history of book banning

PenAmerica's research on book banning. They are a free-speech for writer's organization.

PenAmerica's index of books banned from 2021 - 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment