Monday, November 16, 2015

Kahoot!




Last week I went to a great conference. One of the amazing things about the conference was that at meals people were so excited about the things they were learning that the conversations were often on just that.

One of my friends asked me if I had heard of Kahoot!. She hadn't and nor had I. She said that it had been mentioned in a number of workshops we attended. I decide I had to check it out.

Right away I knew it would be perfect for a workshop I have been asked to teach to a bunch of middle school boys. They want me to talk about study skills. Can you imagine anything higher on the "not interested" scale than that?? I figured I had to find a way to present the information in a fun way. Kahoot! Fits the bill!

My first day back I gave it a try. We just had a week off so in math we reviewed some of the concepts we had covered prior to the break. I was astounded at the buy in from the kids. They were very motivated and are eager to do it again!

Later I tried the same quiz with another group of kids. They are a group whose need a little more think time for math questions. I found some kids got frustrated with how quickly everything went. Some were very motivated, but those who had trouble with the concepts didn't seem to enjoy it much at all. They were frustrated. It moved too fast for them. I will have to be careful about when we use this.

Here is a vine of us playing Kahoot.

https://twitter.com/3affca_nwe/status/666318985877655553



No comments:

Post a Comment