Thursday, September 4, 2014

Crazy for DEAR Time

DEAR time has been a bit of a challenge this year. My class seems to think it's time to use to finish up work, go to the bathroom, talk to their friends....anything but read!!

I've been thinking and thinking about how to fix this. I decided enthusiasm is what I'd try first. Sometimes I think getting kids to read is as much sales pitch as it is helping them develop reading skills.

Today when I met them outside after recess I said, "You're not going to believe what I have! When we go inside go quickly to your desks and I will tell you!"

I introduced them to Shel Silverstein this morning and at lunch I went over to our school library and got a bunch more poetry books. While I was there I noticed a full shelf of Babymouse books, so I decided to grab those too.

I told them how awesome Babymouse is. I clarified that it isn't just for girls (in case some were worried about the abundance of pink!) and we watched a book trailer:




Then we went crazy reading!!

DEAR time ended up being way too short!




No comments:

Post a Comment