Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Celebrations Missed

I've really been noticing the difference it makes when people really listen. Sometimes I hear people turning the conversation to themself. I've been thinking about how much better it feels to ask about others and really listen. I want to be a person who is more outward focused, someone who really listens and someone follows up and asks how sometimes went that they previously shared with me. 

I recently learned the value of following up. Our daughter had asked us to pray for her husband. He had a final exam and if the results were good, it would mean who would be able to be excused from some further exams. We prayed. I waited to hear how it went, but they didn't say anything. I started to worry that maybe it didn't go well and then I didn't want to ask because if it didn't go well I didn't want him to have the embarrassment of sharing the results. 

Over the Christmas holidays, during conversation where someone else was asking him about school this exam came up. He sheepishly shared that he achieved 100% on that exam. It turned out he didn't say anything because he didn't want to sound bragadoscious....which is so him! 

It really made me think about how I had missed out on an opportunity to celebrate his amazing achievement just because I didn't follow up. Lesson learned! In 2024 I plan to be someone who follows up and asks people how things like that go when they tell me about them. 

This is going to be my year where I practice listening AND following up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment